Popcorn is just plain addicting. Add a crunchy, caramel outside with pecans? Now it's crack corn. Just try to only have one bite, I dare you! As I type this, my crack corn is sitting on the kitchen table, basically screaming my name. I'm simply not strong enough to say no. I definitely plan on bringing it to work tomorrow, because I could probably eat the whole batch myself. Not good...but oh so good.
Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn with Pecans (Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker)
Approx. 14 cups plain popped popcorn (I used two packages of microwave popcorn)
2 cups whole pecans, roughly chopped
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, plus a little extra to dust on top
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets. Place popcorn and pecans onto sheets evenly.
2. In a 2 quart saucepan, add brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt. Whisk over medium heat until it starts to boil. Let boil for about 5 minutes without stirring.
3. Remove caramel from heat and whisk in baking soda and pumpkin spice. Your mixture will froth a bit, just keep stirring!
4. Quickly pour caramel over popcorn and pecans, using large spoons to get popcorn/pecan mixture evenly coated with your caramel. Once both cookie sheets have been coated, sprinkle with more pumpkin pie spice and place into oven for 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes, remove rom oven and toss popcorn using a large spoon. Sprinkle with a little more pumpkin pie spice. Place back into the oven for another 20 minutes.
6. Remove caramel corn from the oven, and let cool for several minutes before handling.