Image Map

Thursday, April 4, 2013

White Bean and Spinach Soup

While I have been enjoying the warmer and longer days of spring, I'm still holding on to my winter foods. In particular I have been eating a lot of soup, it's just so filling and makes my stomach happy and warm. This week I made a large pot of soup to eat for lunch everyday rather than going to the Co-Op. Gotta save that money where you can!


This soup is really hearty, delicious and healthy (bonus!). I like to serve mine with a piece or two of warm and crusty bread. If you have avocado, you should probably put some on your bread. But I'm sure you were already gonna do that.


White Bean and Spinach Soup
1 onion, diced
6-7 large carrots, peeled and diced
4-5 stalks of celery, chopped
8-10 crimini mushrooms, cut into fourths
9 oz (1 bag) of fresh spinach
30 oz. canned white beans (2 cans, 15 oz)
49 oz. can chicken or vegetable broth
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
4-5 dried bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon sage
red pepper flakes
salt & pepper

1. In a large soup pot, saute onions. Season with salt and peper. Add garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook for a few minutes, then add broth, crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes. Add bay leaves, vinegar and red pepper flakes (if desired). Add rosemary, thyme and sage.
2. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover with lid and let simmer for about 1 hour. Taste and add salt as needed. Add mushrooms, cover and let simmer for another 30 minutes.
3. Uncover and add fresh spinach. No need to boil, the heat from the soup will cook the spinach. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.