Image Map

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Margherita Pastry Squares


Pastry dough is a pretty amazing thing. It's convenient, delicious and you can use it so many ways! In my opinion, the best way to use pastry dough is to pair it with cheese. Any cheese really, and a few fresh ingredients.


These little pastry presents are amazing right out of the oven, but make a great lukewarm, kinda-dinner with some wine. I would also highly recommend bringing them to a football get together. Among all the chips and dip, you're gonna look so sophisticated.


A little off topic, this is what my kitty does when I do anything on the counter. He is so flippin curious, it drives me crazy sometimes. I'm constantly pushing, throwing, shoving, and nudging him off the counter with a firm, "NO." He doesn't care at all. He doesn't even care about the water bottle anymore. It's all worth it to him in order to get just a little nibble or smell of food. Ultimately I just put him in the laundry room, but gaaahhhh, heeeelllp. Does your cat do this? How can I make him stop?

Anyway. Cheesy, bready tomatoey goodness.

You Need:
One package frozen square pastry dough, thawed
Fresh basil
Cheese (This is kinda up to you. I used both mozzarella and an herbed monterey jack, and both were great. Goat cheese would probably be ah-maz-zing.)
Cherub tomatoes
Balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400. Slice tomatoes into small slices (about 3 or 4 per tomato). Mix with a dash of salt, fresh pepper, and a dash of balsamic vinegar.
2. Put a small amount of floor on counter, and roll out pastry dough. I used a rolling pin to roll our my dough just a little.
3. Cut dough into three strips horizontally and vertically, resulting in 9 square pieces.
4. Place a small amount of cheese in center of pastry square, followed by about a half leaf of basil, and a few tomato slices (I used about 4 or 5 per pastry).
5. Whisk egg in small bowl. Pull corner of the pastry towards center, place small amount of egg wash in corner, and fold over the diagonal corner. Place drop of egg wash, and fold over remaining corners.


6. After all pastries are folded, place on cookie sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Some may open a little, or the cheese may melt out. But don't worry, they are all unique snowflakes!
7. Devour.





7 comments:

  1. Oh man, these look delicious! I totally agree that cheese is the best friend of pastry, cheese is the best friend of most things actually!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good! we eat gluten free and I need to find gf pastry dough to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! these looks amazing! thank you for sharing!

    so glad I stumbled upon your blog! new follower :)

    Saralyn

    www.studiomaisonblog.us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well hello deliciousness, these look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anything in pastry dough is just the best

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog. Darling posts and these look so delicious.. time to put on some Fiona Apple and make some for myself!

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look like they turned out great! I can never get my puff pastry to puff up like that. :(
    Thanks for sharing!

    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.